Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Simple Vanilla Cake



So, let me just say this now..... I don't bake. And when I do, it's from a box.

But for some reason, I decided I wanted to bake a cake. From scratch (Truth is, I just didn't have any cake mix available).

Overall, this was really simple to do, and it didn't require many ingredients - I already had everything I needed around the kitchen.

I had a little issue trying to get the cakes out of the baking pans, but I think it turned out okay. I guess you can be the judge of that.

So let's get started!

Here's what you'll need (Enough for 24 cupcakes or 2 - 9x9 inch pans):

- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk

What you do:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour your 9x9 inch pans, or line your muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, cream the sugar and butter together. Once creamed, beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla.
3. Combine the flour and baking powder in a second bowl, add to the creamed mixture and mix well (I added my flour mixture in three batches to make mixing a little easier).
4. When the batter is smooth, pour or spoon it into your pans or paper liners.
5. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes (20-25 minutes for cupcakes). The cake should be done when a knife inserted in the middle comes out cleanly.


Now for the fun part - decorating (I cheated with this part)!

I found this can of icing at Target and HAD to pick it up!























It wasn't the cleanest of cakes, but it was certainly tasty! The cake wasn't overly sweet, and the icing added a nice touch. I would definitely recommend trying this out!

Let me know if you try this and how it turned out, or if you have any other good cake recipes!

♥Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment