Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Avocado Summer Rolls

I love avocados, and I'm totally accepting the current avocado craze that's going on. I had avocado summer rolls recently, and they were life changing. I don't know how I'd never had them before, but all that matters now is that I have them in my life.

So naturally, because they were just so delish, I had to recreate them. Sure, they're easier (and a little prettier) when they're store bought, but what fun is that??

Recipe adapted from here



For the sauce
- 5 tbs. vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar, but rice vinegar would be perfect)
- 1 tbs. and 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
- 3 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Sriracha (More or less, depending on how hot you want the sauce)
- A dash of crushed red pepper flakes (Optional)

Mix all of the ingredients together, and then let sit while you work on the wraps.




For the wraps:
- 20 rice paper rounds (You should be able to find these in the Asian foods aisle at any grocery store)
- 2 avocados, cut into thin slices
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1/4 head of red cabbage
- 1/2 English cucumber, cut into thin strips or slices
- 1 lime
- Lettuce leaves

Clean and cut/shred the veggies first. Then, slice the avocados and cover in lime juice - this will help prevent the avocados from browning. NOW, on to rolling.




Take two rice paper rounds and dip both sides in a shallow plate of water. Put them together and lay them flat. Add some avocado, carrots, red cabbage, and cucumber to the middle, and roll! I folded half of the paper, then tucked in both sides, and continued rolling, but feel free to tuck and roll however you please.



And that's about it. As you can see, my rolling skills need a little (more like a lot of) practice, but for my first try, I'm not ashamed. I finished with 9 rolls (I might've overstuffed a little), but I'd say you should get about 10 with the measurements above.

If you try these out, let me know how they turn out! I think next time, I'm going with a little less lettuce and more avocado! YUM!

Enjoy!
♥Sara
 

No comments:

Post a Comment